Southwest Gas Corporation, a provider of natural gas services to more than 1.9 million customers throughout Arizona, Nevada, and California, set out to streamline its approach to information management by partnering with Zasio Enterprise’s Consulting division. Together, the two industry leaders developed key strategies to drive compliance, collective corporate buy-in, and simplified and sustainable solutions.
- Consolidate existing record series
- Develop an intuitive, easy-to-use records retention schedule
- Update records to ensure accuracy
- Garner collective buy-in to the corporate schedule
To help streamline the number of record series and develop a dynamic retention schedule, the Zasio team:
- Conducted a comprehensive assessment of the existing records management scheme
- Interviewed knowledgeable stakeholders from each department, as well as the records managers, to gain insights into what records exist and how those records were being treated
- Developed a new strategy that is easier to use, manage, and implement
The result – an updated functional schedule allows for the corporation to address the management of records from a corporate-wide perspective, as opposed to the piece-by-piece approach that was in use with the granular index.
In partnering with Zasio, Southwest Gas Corporation saw immediate and long-term results.
- An 80% reduction in record series – from 1,165 to less than 250
- A comprehensive functional retention schedule in place of a granular index
- A user-friendly retention schedule allowing for an increase in adherence and collective buy-in